Register book for the Pico House, 1870
Register book for the Pico House, a hotel on 424 N Main St, Los Angeles, 1870. The Pico House was built by Pío Pico (1801-1894), last governor of California under Mexican rule, and designed by architect Ezra F. Kysor. Construction began on September 18, 1869, and the hotel opened for business on June 9, 1870. The hotel was built in the Italianate style, with deep set round-arched windows and doors; the facade was stuccoed to resemble blue granite. The hotel had eighty-two bedrooms and twenty-one parlors as well as bathrooms and water closets for each sex on each floor. It was the first three story building and the first grand hotel in Los Angeles. The building is located on 424 North Main Street, in a heart of old El Pueblo de Los Angeles.
93.21.142, Acquisition made possible by the Ramona chapter, Native Sons of the Golden West